Brooke L. Ballard, MD
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Fellowship Trained In Hand and Upper Extremity
Brooke L. Ballard, MDRequest An
Dr. Ballard is a Board Certified Orthopedic surgeon with additional state-of-the-art fellowship training in complex hand surgery as well as shoulder & elbow. She specializes in the shoulder, elbow and hand. Her scope of practice ranges from arthritis care of the shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist, nerve compression syndromes like carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's, general orthopedic fracture care, pediatrics cases, complex shoulder replacements, arthroscopy, and complex joint replacements throughout the hand and upper extremity.
Dr. Ballard completed her general orthopedic surgery residency and additional bioengineering research at University of California at San Diego, then traveled to University of Florida for the only fellowship program in the U.S.A. that includes both the latest hand surgery techniques from pediatric to microsurgery, as well as complex shoulder and elbow replacements for arthritis. She received her medical degree from University of Illinois as 1 of 2 students sponsored by the state by a scholarship program where she had previously graduated Magna Cum Laude with dual degrees in Honors Biology and Chemistry.
No stranger to injuries and rehabilitation herself, Dr. Ballard sustained an ankle fracture as well as tendon lacerations in two separate seasons as a high school varsity athlete and team captain. Not allowing this to slow her down, she still enjoys running on the beach and remaining active while raising a beautiful little girl with her husband. She volunteers for a local organization named Girls on the Run, and has participated in a national congenital limb differences camp.
You can schedule an appointment with Dr. Ballard at the Alvarado/SDSU location or Sorrento Valley/UCSD office.
Dr. Ballard specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures including:
- Upper Extremity
- Undergraduate: B.S. Honors Biology, B.S. Chemistry, University of Illinois, Champagne, IL
- Medical: University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- General Orthopedic Surgery Residency: University of California, San Diego, CA
- Orthopedic Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- California Medical Association
- San Diego County Medical Association
Grants and Awards
- AAOS-RJOS Resident Research Award 2009
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association Grant Recipient 2008
- Illinois General Assembly Tuition Scholarship 2003-2005
- American Institute of Chemists Award 2001
- Chancellor Scholar, James Scholar, Campus Honors Program 1997-2001
- Phi Beta Kappa 2000-2001
- Washington University Radiopharmaceutical Research Fellowship 2000
- UCSD Professorship “Effect of Tibial Plateau Fractures on Joint Lubrication” 2012
- AAOS RJOS “Comparison of Synovial Fluid in Trauma and Disease” 2009
- Western Orthopaedic Association “Comparison of Synovial Fluid in Trauma and Disease” 2008
- Ballard BL. Life in the Body. Yale Journal for Humanities in Medicine 2010 Oct.
- Bae WC, Payanal MM, Chen AC, Hsieh-Bonassera ND, Ballard BL, Lotz MK, Coutts RD, Bugbee WD, Sah RL. Topographic Patterns of Cartilage Lesions in Knee Osteoarthritis. Cartilage 1(1): 10, 2010.
- Wang, ML, Ballard, BL, Kulidjian, AA, Abrams, RL. Upper extremity reconstruction with a humeral tumor endoprosthesis: A novel salvage procedure after multiple revisions of total shoulder and elbow replacements. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 20(1): e1, 2011.
- Ballard, BL, Antonacci, JM, Temple-Wong, MM, Hui, AH, Schumacher, BL, Bugbee, WD, Schwartz, AK, Girard, PJ, Sah, RL. Effect of Tibial Plateau Fracture on Lubrication Function and Composition of Synovial Fluid. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery American 94(10): e64, 2012.
Volunteer and Teaching Experience
- Girls on the Run, Assistant Coach 2013
- Essentials of Clinical Medicine Course,Teaching Assistant 2005-2006
- National Youth Leadership Foundation,Faculty Advisor for Medicine 2003
- Humanities in Medicine, President and Vice-President 2002-2004
- Joshua Homeless Women’s Shelter Medical Team 2002-2003
- Medical School Free Clinics 2001-present
- Public Health Outreach, Campus Honors ProgramTravel Grant, Guatemala 2000
- Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon